Friday, December 25, 2015

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl



In Ethan Wate's hometown there lies the darkest of secrets . . .
There is a girl. Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head . . . Green eyes, black hair. Lena Duchannes.
There is a curse. On the Sixteenth Moon, the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it's been promised. And no one can stop it.
In the end, there is a grave.
Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided. Ethan never even saw it coming.






When I first started reading this book I thought it was refreshing that the narrator was a teenage boy. But I quickly realized the narrator may be a boy but thinks and feels too much like a girl, so that was a little disappointing.

I had a love/hate relationship with this book. This book is over 500 pages and very much felt like it. There were chapters that felt irrelevant and parts of the book that crept so slowly that I felt I was never going to be able to finish it. Usually a book either captivates me to the point I can't put it down or doesn't so that I can't make myself endure through it. This story, however, was a combo of both. I would get frustrated with it but I was still captivated enough that I couldn't give up and had to follow it through. The story had enough surprises to keep me wondering what Ethan and Lena would have to endure next.

The authors gave so much back story on the town I wish they would have gave more about Ethan's mom and less about Ethan's daddy issues. I also wished the telepathic conversations were a little deeper, most of them felt pointless. Regardless of the disappointments, the story was still worth reading. I loved the ending it wasn't entirely predictable nor did it have some cookie cutter happily ever after ending.

My favorite lines:
I heard every word she had said, but I only knew one thing. I was all in.

I had fallen. I think I had always been falling. And she might as well know, if she didn't already, because there was no going back now. Not for me. She looked up at me, and the whole world disappeared. Like there was just us, like there would always be just us, and we didn't need magic for that.

She was powerful and she was beautiful. Every day was terrifying, and every day was perfect.

 Mortals. I envy you. You think you can change things. Stop the universe. Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment